Friday, October 27, 2006

Culture Lesson

Well I am done with my second set of classes. Whoot whoot! They were a lot harder than my first set and I am still so confused about all these spanish grammer rules. It is like this.... Maestro de nivel 9: Well when you write you need to write like this but you will not talk like this unless you are really intelligent. Well I am not planning on writing novels in spanish as I can´t even write novels in English. Oh well I really did like my teacher for that class as he was cool and taught me a lot of noneducational things but interesting pieces of knowledge. I know know everything there is to know about the city busses because of him. I also learned a lot of politics in my culture class, funny huh. Basically culture was politics and history so I am glad that that class is over too. But get this. It took me like ten weeks to figure out this whole political mess going on down here and I can´t even remember how many people explained it to me. Finally I figured it out in Culture class. There are these two parties that are really close, PRI ( represents poor people) and PAN (represents rich people) and this year the winner, PAN won by .02%. Can you believe that. So basically they are recounting and recounting and both are saying they are the presidents. Guess we will see on December first because that is when they change. So I guess it was a good thing I took that class. What other pieces of knowledge can I share with you. For all you mothers that read this, down here the mother is the most important person in the man´s life. So when a man gets married his mom is still more important and has more say than his wife. On mother´s day down here the mothers get showered with gifts and it is a national holiday so no school. Education down here is GRATIS, aka free which is actually kind of sad that there are so many kids that don´t go to school. So if I become a mexican, which I am getting there as I have been eating quite a bit of chile lately, I can go to college at the UDG here in GDL for free. Oh... and for all you couples that read this when a man wants to ask a women to be his girlfriend he hires a marachi, which is a band, to sing underneath her window and so when you see a band coming down your street all the girls wonder who the lucky girl is. Needless to say I have had about ummmmmmmm five bands sing under my window. No no I am just kidding. Well that is your little clase on Mexican culture. Last weekend I just stayed in GDL with Emely and Amanda because Emely´s sister came to visit for four days. We were great tour guides and tried to do everything we possibly could in four days. On Sunday evening we went to a bull fight and that was really interesting. Basically they let a bull loose into the ring and get him mad so he runs into the walls and then the big man comes out and basically calms the bull down. He bascially knows that bull within minutes and can get it so he can turn his back and know for sure that he won´t get charged. Then they kill the bull with spears right in front of you. The point I think is to kill the bull in the least painful way. We watched seven bulls get killed in about two and half hours. The girls didn´t like it but I thought it was an art and really enjoyed it. It is actually really amazing. Although twice the bulls charged after the horses and I thought they killed them. That would have been sad. This week I have just been studying for finals and concentrating on school. We don´t have any plans for this weekend but will be staying in GDL again. There is always stuff to do here and I don´t doubt that we will get bored :) Well I hope you are all enjoying the winter that is coming in. It is getting cold here too, like high sixties so I know how it feels. Haha. Actually to me it is cold. Would love to hear from you all!

1 comment:

Danelle Parsons said...

Haha oh mom and dad I love you and don't worry I will be coming home with you on the 3rd. I can't wait for you guys to come and I was thinking we could go to a bull fight but if you don't think it sounds very interesting.... :) Love you tons and miss you!!!!