Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Finally Mexico!!

Well sorry this took so long to post but I didn´t have internet access for awhile. I now bought it for a week so I will probably be on everyday for a week now and then off for a week because I guess I am cheap!Well ok Saturday I worked at the Badger Steam and Gas show scooping ice cream and then we got all packed up and went to Chicago to find an airport. Mom was a little nervous when we got into the bad side of town and think she was relieved when we found a hotel that wasn´t trashy. I flew out on Sunday morning at nine. We got to the airport at seven got checked in, they even let my suicase that was over by four pounds pass, and then they gave my family passes to come to the gate with me so that was nice. My flight was good. It only takes four hours from Chicago to get down here! I´m pretty sure I was the only American on the flight! When we arrived I was shocked because 1. it didn´t look like I was in a big city and 2. the airport was tiny. We got off the plane onto a bus that took us to customs. I got through customs fine and then I had to pick up my luggage which was a mess. There were people all over and I had to guess which thing my luggage would be coming out of and it took me 25 minutes to find my luggage. Crazy! I then got a taxi and left the airport. My driver really didn´t know where we going so we had to make a couple of stops but we got to my house within forty minutes. Guadalajara has a population of six million people and is not the cleanest but hey that is why I love it. The weather is nice. It is cool in the mornings, hot in the afternoon, and cool in the evenings. Average temperature is about 80. So when we arrived at my house I was just a little shocked. I was thinking that it would be a little house with like a gate, kind of like Ann´s in Peru, but it was just a brick building. The inside though is nice. It probably is a litte worse than the dorms but close to it. Everything is tiled and old but there is nothing wrong with that. I have a huge room to myself right now because I don´t have a roommate. There is a girl from Japan living there, her name is Sen, but she leaves this weekend because her course will be done. When she leaves I can have her room or keep mine as the senora said it is up to me. I like with the senora, her daughter Veronica, Veronica´s son Bruno, who is 9, Carlos who is the senora´s son, and then another guy who pays rent to live there as he works. They say that students will be coming and going throughout the time I am here. My family is very nice! The rest of sunday I basically unpacked, hung out with my family, and then went to bed as I was shot.Monday I had to be at school by 8:45. The school is only three blocks away and actually it is just one building which is for international students. The university is spread out through the entire city. The staff here are awesome. Sorry but they definatley are more understanding and helpful than those at Mankato! I had orientation, took a placement test, and then went home around 11:30. Then Sen and I went to the shopping mall that is close by. It is HUGE! Sen is so funny because she is so scared of the traffic that when we cross the streets she is already on the other side before I have stepped of the sidewalk. We hung out down there for awhile and then came back and I took a nap. The rest of my family gets done with work and school around two. The senora is a music teacher, Veronica is an English teacher, Carlos works at the school as an assistant, and Bruno is in 4th grade. Although they know english they are not allowed to speak to us in English unless we are in a pickle. We just hung out until lunch which is at four. After lunch Sen taught Carlos, Bruno, and I japanesse and oragami. We tell Sen that everything in Japan is hard and I am pretty sure it is! Then we ate at nine thirty and then went to bed.This morning I got up, which is really hard to do when it is pitch dark until seven thirty, took a shower which is pretty cold, and was at school by eight. I had classes today and really like them. I have ten kids in my class and we are already pretty close. My professors are funny and nice. I should probably now finish this up so I can get back home. Carlos says I should be able to make it from the house to school in three minutes but I am pretty sure that it takes longer than that. The sidewalks are very uneven so I haven´t even tried running outside but some of the girls and I are going to get a membership at the club that isn´t too far away. I will be on now probably every day for the next week and then I will see what I will do. I having fun and every minute is an adventure. Sometimes I have no idea what is going on but I smile and go with the crowd.

No comments: